2009/09/04

Culture shock.

Just so that you know, I am really busy right now -language school from 9 to 6, socializing, burocratic stuff- that I won't get to write daily. I will let you know when I put new pics online. If you'd like to be updated, please send me a short note: amrei.pilger@web.de

So, I've been trying to adapt to the Italian way of life.
I actually did laundry the first time here in Italy, which was no problem because we have a washing machine (lavatrice ;)). But after my clothes were clean, there was a little problem: I didn't know where to put my clothes to let them dry. Well, as you might have noticed in my pics, Italians put their laundry outside in front of their windows and let it dry there. Fine with me, at least for jeans, t-shirts... but can you imagine putting your underwear in a "public" place, where everyone can see it??? The Italians probably don't care, but I do. Noone needs to see my underwear, neither people on the street nor my Italian flatmates (nor my German flatmates! Sorry guys). How I solved the problem? Well, I will only tell you that noone got to see anything.

Another cosa italiana strana: the way of driving a car here is probably designed to torture and scare off every single foreigner who has had the guts to ever step foot in this country. Yesterday I met an Italian couple, Roberto e Francesca, who took me to Colle Val d'Elsa (a small place close to Siena) last night.  They are very friendly people and I enjoyed spending time with them.... but if had known what they would do to me, I would have never said hi to them in the first place. We decided to go to Colle because it has a really nice bar in a medieval castle. The ride there took only about 20 minutes, but believe me, I have never been so sick in my whole life. A couple of times, I was convinced that my life had come to an end. When we finally arrived in Colle and got out of the car completely alive and sane, I knew that God had made happen another miracle. I needed about an hour to recover from this horrortrip and felt like I had to throw up several times. (Just so you know, I do like rollercoasters!)

My advise to you: do not EVER step foot in a car driven by an Italian. Never ever!!!

Language course: do you remember I was put in level 4 out of 6? Well, I must be a genius (but don't tell anyone or they might think I'm a little arrogant). The other students in my class have all studied Italian for several years or have spent some months here in Italy. So they must either be very stupid or I am just very good at what I do. ;-))) I am also the only student who has managed to get in touch with "real Italians" - I live with my Italian flatmates and have gotten to know Roberta and Francesca, and also Claudia, a girl who studies German. The others live with other international students, speak English all day and go to Erasmus clubs. Loosers ;-)
Actually, Italy, its people and language are fascinating and I am having the time of my life!

No comments:

Post a Comment