2010/02/01

How I bought a light bulb.

My favourite store in Bari is a tiny hardware store (home improvement store, that type) right next to my house. Whenever I pass by, and I pass by daily, the owner (Sergio) is standing outside the shop, chatting with some natives who don't seem to have anything to do but pass the whole day there, talking about the weather and Barese gossip.
This is the place that I chose to buy a new light bulb after my old beloved light bulb had ceised to function. Just that I wouldn't have thought it's not quite easy after all to acquire a light bulb.
I confronted Sergio with my problem ("I would like to buy a light bulb."). He looked at me, not understanding, indicating that this was not as simple a matter as I thought.
"Of course. But where would you like to put it?". None of his business, but perplexed I said "In my room.". "In your room, hmm. And what kind of lamp are you using?" 100 questions later ("Where is that lamp? Where exactly? How high is your ceiling? Are there other lamps? What colour are the walls? .....) he excused himself. "You have to know, I don't want to intrude into your private sphere, but I have to know all this to make sure I'll sell you EXACTLY the right light bulb... there are so many different kinds!". Well, after he had  received all the desired information, he pulled out 5 light bulbs and installed each of them in a lamp so that I could decide which type of light I liked best. (Warm light, cold light.....).
I picked a light bulb and was jumping for joy when I finally left the store, after an eternity, with the object of my desires in my right hand. I immediately put it into my lamp at home and am very content with the result. I call my light bulb Willy and treat him with love and respect. Every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment